He won't shed!!!

Last post 05-18-2006 8:37 PM by PsyncodeMayo. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 05-18-2006 8:37 PM

He won't shed!!!

Ok, my little Shetland mix (in my avatar;isn't he adorable?!) is fairly old, somewhere in his early twenties. The past few years, it's like he has a lot of trouble shedding out this little blob on his hindquarters and back. I've tried brushing him till my arm feels like it's about to fall off, but not even the shedding blade has any effect. AT ALL!! I've read in Equus and stuff like that that it's just normal aging, and it usually does go away by about July. But I just want to know, is there anything I can do about it besides just brushing? I'm not really worried so much about the appearance, but I would like to get it off, because it gets really hot down here this time of year Confused. Any ideas?
    Thanks Sophie!
  • 05-18-2006 8:41 PM In reply to

Re: He won't shed!!!

Yes, he is very cute. Smile You could clip him if you want, that would certainly work. I also like the shedding blocks. You can buy them from any horse supply place and they're only a couple of dollars. They're black brick shaped things that help get the hair off. My friend who owns a senior thoroughbred has the same problem.

Also, if he has Cushing's disease he won't shed. My friend had an Appy with cushings who had a long curly coat, year round.
    A Saturn for a Mars in Neptune. Looks like the planets really aligned for that one. Now move Uranus, Mercury is rising!

----
  • 05-18-2006 8:41 PM In reply to

save it my old man doesnt usually loose his hair till like july but this year he already lost it all.
    Without my horse, im just human. Without me, my horse is just an animal. But when you put us together we become an unstoppable team!

Photobucket

Crying the Blues, 23 year old National Show horse (Pictured above)
    R Impulsive Invite, 6 year old Appaloosa

HOTM Jan 2010
    Luvs Fantacy, 29 year old National Show Horse (Rest in Peace, December 4, 2009)
  • 05-18-2006 9:06 PM In reply to

You can shave it (and may even just consider body clipping him once the weather turns...just be prepared to blanket if the temps drop again after you shaved).

Shetlands are pretty hairy creatures and aging will make them shed differently. I'd keep cushings in the back of my mind though in case he starts showing other symptoms or the lack of shedding gets worse.
  • 05-18-2006 9:35 PM In reply to

Thanks, y'all. I'm pretty sure it's not cushings, since this has been going on for a few years, and he's not really around any other horses, only our TB mare (who has no such problem). I guess I'll have to let him work it out on his own (cause there is NO WAY we are getting clippers anywhere near that pony; he doesn't even like the fly sprayer, only tolerates it because he figured out it gets rid of the evil little things).
    Thanks Sophie!
  • 05-18-2006 9:44 PM In reply to

Cushings is not contagious. It is something some horses develop on their own as they age.

http://www.animalherbcompany.com/articles/equine_cushings.htm
    http://cvm.msu.edu/news/press/0302b.htm
  • 05-18-2006 9:46 PM In reply to

Cushings isn't something that horses catch from other horses. It is a metabolic disorder that sometimes occurs when a horse/pony gets older. It can make them more prone to abcesses and founder. If you google Cushings Disease, there is lots of info out there on it.
  • 05-18-2006 11:45 PM In reply to

As others have mentioned, Cushings is something worth looking into.
    I have a 23 year old half-arab gelding that until the last two springs was usually the last to shed. Well late 2004, I put my horses on BOSS and last spring he was one of the first to start shedding. This spring, although not on BOSS, he was on Progressive Nutrition diet balancer and that seemed to do wonders for his shedding. Just an idea (it's probably to late to start him on BOSS to help with this year's shedding, but maybe next winter - I give my gelding 1 cup twice a day - your guy would probably only need 1/4-1/2 cup 2xday to help his coat).
  • 05-19-2006 12:02 PM In reply to

Quote:

Cushings is not contagious. It is something some horses develop on their own as they age.

http://www.animalherbcompany.com/articles/equine_cushings.htm
    http://cvm.msu.edu/news/press/0302b.htm

Oh...hehe... I knew that...you'll have to forgive my ignorance, I've never really done the whole "horse scene," just two horses on a would-be farm, riding when I can. Love 'em to death, though!! I'll check out those sights, maybe see what I can find in my alternative therapy book (called "A Healthy Horse The Natural Way," it's awesome!).
    Thanks Sophie!
  • 05-19-2006 11:16 PM In reply to

we bought my daughter a old horse when my daughter was about 8 and he was well in his twentys but he didn't shed out well either I started to feed him senior feed and this product called nuimage and it works great he turned out so shiny and shed out great although he did always get really hairy through winter Smile
  • 05-20-2006 1:14 PM In reply to

Heavy coats, coats that shed late/incompletely (partially)/not at all could be possible signs of Cushings, as others have indicated.

Not all horses have the "classic coat", however (my Cushings horse doesn't).

And although it's generally thought of as an "old horse disease", young horses CAN have it.

It might be worth investigating further. Easier to check it out now - Cushings horses/ponies also tend to be much more prone to founder/laminitis...if you know they have Cushings early on, you can take steps to minimize the risk of founder/laminitis, rather than having to deal with that later. In addition, repro problems may have an underlying basis with Cushings. Weight challenges (both "easy keepers" and "hard keepers"). And so on. Because it is a metabolic issue, Cushings can have any number of possible symptoms or combinations of symptoms (or no visible symptoms at all).

Yes, there are other reasons that the pony may have the coat shedding challenges.

Clipping the coat can help make them more confortable in the warmer weather.

Feed changes might help some, regardless of cause. Cushings medications will help, if the pony has Cushings. Make sure that the pony is wormed regularly, if it isn't already.

Lots of fantastic info on Cushings is on the EquineCushings list on yahoogroups. Even if you don't sign up for the list itself, it might be worth some time invested to sign in and look at the files on the homepage.

Hope that this info is of some help. Wink
  • 05-21-2006 9:04 AM In reply to

The shedding blocks that someone else mentioned work wonders on my hairy old man. Farnam makes the ones that are already sliced to hand size and I think they're about $3 in the feed stores. I buy a grill block from a local restaurant supply and cut slices off. The whole block (makes 12 or more hand sized slices) is about $8. I think the grill block is a softer pumice, but it works just as well for me.

Happiness is a backyard full of Arabian horses :-)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.