Slaughter Houses for Horses to Open!!

Last post 12-19-2009 4:21 PM by SBWhisperer27. 142 replies.
Page 9 of 10 (143 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 06-06-2009 1:08 PM In reply to

Re: Slaughter Houses for Horses to Open!!

Caution!  Drive-by posting:

I am sorry, but just had to jump in here and air my opinion:  I am for the ethical slaughter of all vegetables.  They have NO place in the human diet....  KILL THEM ALL!

Devil

Janice

Bread may feed my body, but my horse feeds my soul.
  • 06-06-2009 2:03 PM In reply to

I have horses and love them greatly. Would I knowingly send one of my horses to slaughter, no way. That said, they need the horse slaughter industry. Anything else is wasteful. We as Americans say you can't eat horses because they mean so much more to us than that. There are countries that would never eat a pig, cow, sheep, etc. We do and that's why we believe it's ok to slaughter them. There are many unwanted, unloved horses out there. Rather than see them starve or continue on in a miserable life. Let's be humane and get it over with quickly for them. Have it done in the states so we can regulate how they're treated. 

• 06-07-2009 9:43 AM In reply to

Nicole:

RopinReins:

<smartaleckcomment> Shoot, if we start to regulate horse breeding... maybe we should regulate human breeding too - as I am quite positive that some people should have a license to breed. Afterall, you do need a license to drive, a license to get married... we can save some govt $$  to put towards formation of a "responsible reproduction" government agency for all things reproductive by requiring a license for human breeding too! </smartaleckcomment>

Well while we're at it... maybe we should start slaughtering the old, weak, or inferior humans, too.  I bet there are whole countries that would pay top dollar for a little American meat!   Think of the money we could make... and the people we could get rid of!   Stick out tongue

Nicole,

I know with your last comment, you were being a bit tongue in cheekStick out tongue. However, if you took it to the extreme or logical conclusion, take your pick, you would have NAZI GERMANY. (CAPS for emphasis.) We all agree, we DON'T WANT THAT!! Believe me I don't know what the solution is to this, but I do know we should start with education, and breeding regulation, but the way our country was designed, unlike europe, everything has to start from bottom up, not top down, because our mindset is against someone else telling us what to do, because we've had experience in our early history (King George the 3rd) that causes us to distrust top down government. I won't even mention Watergate!!!

Frank

• 06-08-2009 2:55 PM In reply to

I agree with so many of the posts here that the issue is not about whether there should be slaughter houses but how the animals for slaughter are handled, including their transportation.

While I do not agree with the way the horses were handled at the previously operated slaughter houses, I ask you if that is any worse than leaving animals tied and driving away when they do not sell at auctions is any better, which has happened in several places? These animals are left without weater or food and left to starve to death unless someone takes pity and takes them in.

As for the payment for slaughter horses, perhaps paying for the animal may make it a little more likely that they will be treated as best as is possible in the situation. Very few people, particularly business people, value those things that come for free.

• 06-09-2009 10:30 AM In reply to

I would totally hate to see slaughters houses being re-opened. But what can we do, I mean unless you can take on every horse that you can save, its hard. My thought is if we didn't have such a big problem if people weren't so careless with breeding. People always want that PERFECT horse, but in trying to acheive this they neglect to see the mistakes they are making with the so-called "not the perfect horse they wanted". There needs to be a limit on how many mares and how much a breeding should be allowed. Yeah people might think thats insane but yeah know its kind of like common sense to me. I may be a young adult here but its what I would try to do. This problem will not go away completely but if we can narrow it down as much as possible it can make a difference.

Bluemoon is Arising ....
  • 06-09-2009 12:21 PM In reply to

In my opinion the problem is not in the number of mares bred each year so much as in the quality of the studs and mares being bred.

There needs to be a purpose for a baby being brought into the world. I breed QH's for the sport of reining. I breed selectively to good studs so that my babies will have a purpose and, hopefully, a future. I look at my mare and make sure that the stud has the right attributes to make up for what she lacks, including the state of mind.

I also gelded my stud colt when he proved to be way too obstinate & angry when he was asked to lope a nice quiet circle. The gene pool did not need to be increased with a bad attitude. This colt had incredible blood lines and could have made money as a stud on that alone but I didn't want to pass the bad parts along so he is now a gelding and is doing much better. He will now have a future as a gelding show horse and later on as a great riding horse.

Breeding to have a cute foal in the paddock is often the reason many people breed but what happens when that baby with bad attitude or poor confirmation is grown up and no-one wants it?  It goes to the slaughterhouse. What happens when someone loves on their cute baby and it doesn't learn to respect people and becomes a spoiled, mannerless, dangerous horse? It goes to the slaughterhouse.

Stallion owners have a responsibility to ensure that their studs are suitable for breeding (and there are many great studs out there) and that the mares they are breeding to are likely to produce a good, useful baby.

• 06-09-2009 2:00 PM In reply to

hjpowell:
    also gelded my stud colt when he proved to be way too obstinate & angry when he was asked to lope a nice quiet circle. The gene pool did not need to be increased with a bad attitude. This colt had incredible blood lines and could have made money as a stud on that alone but I didn't want to pass the bad parts along so he is now a gelding and is doing much better. He will now have a future as a gelding show horse and later on as a great riding horse.

Good on ya, hjpowell. I have enormous respect for you for making this decision, and I know that many others on this forum will feel the same way. I wish more people would follow in your footsteps and only breed selectively for quality horses with good conformation, athleticism, and temperment. This goes a long way to cutting down on the amount of unwanted horses in our country.

• 06-09-2009 2:33 PM In reply to

I do not believe that salughter houses have any place in the US.  Would we allow our dogs and cats to be slaughtered for meat?  There are millions of unwanted dogs and cats too.  The slaughter houses pay money for horses, when all the 'unwanted' horses are gone what will the meat men do?  We have already seen in FL what they will do, they will steal horses off of people's property to take to slaughter.  Race horses who no longer win will be slaughtered even though they are perfectly fine.  Also the way they slaughter these horses is in NO WAY humane.  We need to stop this and find another way to solve the 'unwanted' horse issue.  I volunteer at a horse rescue.  They try to buy horses that are up for slaughter and they spend a lot of money doing it!  You should see our mascot, he was sent for slaughter and everyone I know thinks he is the most beautiful horse they have ever seen!  If people would just contact the rescue groups before ignoring their horse or selling it for slaughter then this issue wouldn't be so bad.  Also the government could give some money to horse rescue's so that they can take in more horses.

Katrina

• 06-09-2009 4:12 PM In reply to

trink1213:
    We have already seen in FL what they will do, they will steal horses off of people's property to take to slaughter.

This is not correct. While I do agree with your basic premise and viewpoints, I just have to point out once again that what happened down here in Florida has absolutely nothing to do with the slaughterhouses closing. It's completely unrelated. I'm not sure where the thread is, but someone had brought this up previously and I had two very long responses to it.

• 06-11-2009 1:40 PM In reply to

I myself have never nor will I ever breed one of my horses. My horses are for trail/pleasure. If I want another horse there are so many to choose from out there. So many in fact that many have no homes and are being dropped off at weird places. There are some out there slowly starving to death or disease ridden. So in that case yes I believe we need slaughter houses. I think instead of us saying no because we consider them our pets/family. We should stand up and change the way it's done let's make it humane. There will always be a need for slaughter house while we eat meat. It's a fact.

This horse was bought off a horse trader that was loading up to haul them all to slaughter. Besides being one of the roughest horses I have ever rode she is also one of the safest. She is at her forever home and not on a table. I saved her but I cannot save them all.

All 5

Why ride when you can glide with a Tennessee Walker....
  • 06-12-2009 6:40 PM In reply to

Hello,

I am looking for information on the subject that a slaughter house is in fact opening or has opened in florida.

I moved from ruskin, fl to gainesville/whitesboro, Tx a yr ago. A friend of mine is here visiting from there and told me about a supposed processing plant opening. When I did a web search all I found on the subject was this blog.

Does anyone have any links that I can read that deal with the facts? Who's behind it, how are they getting this done... or is this just speculation?

Thanks in advance,

Hyla Burleson

• 06-15-2009 8:16 AM In reply to

• Anna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-04-2009
    • Kentucky
    • Foal

I have a few websites you can check out for the slaughter house bill. Everything that I have read about the bill is supposed to be for the opening of a slaughter house in Montanna, be set up for horses only, allowed to only have enough animals that can be processed in a 12 hour period.  I have lost some of the better websites but I hope this helps.  The last website cattlegrower.com is like myspace.com you can sign up and create a profile and talk to other livestock owners that own everything from chickens to goats to alpacas. I will keep searching for the other websites. Try searching for: Montana slaughterhouse bill. 

websites

http://uan.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/995100175/m/6821033543/r/58210869

www.thehorse.com

www.cattlegrower.com

Happy Trails,
    Anna
    Mary an Dolly and Me and Buck
  • 06-15-2009 12:44 PM In reply to

• Anna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-04-2009
    • Kentucky
    • Foal

I just found another website I thought you might like to take a look at www.amillionhorses.com This website is more on the lines of abuse and neglect but does have some links to the legilation about horse slaughter.  The website is factual, with references,  and does not try to persuade anyone to be for or against slaughter, it is just the facts. 

Happy Trails,
    Anna
    Mary an Dolly and Me and Buck
  • 12-03-2009 7:45 PM In reply to

I went and checked out that website. Something needs to be done, whether it be opening up slaughterhouses or something else. I'm trying to sell my horse right now. I would rather have him ending up in a slaughter house than on the side of the road somewhere, starving or dead.

• 12-05-2009 4:32 AM In reply to

I know, slaughter is a sensitive subject for you. You did pushed slaughters out of US.There are pluses and minuses, to be honest, and if you will seriously weight them, without heated emotions, you will find the right answer for the horses.

We do have slaughters here, still. And I'm not fighting against them. Why? There are suffering horses who must be put down, there always will be horses to be put down for one reason or another. 

We are not allowed to shoot such saffering horse. It must be vet and human PTS. But - it is about 300$. Then there is next nightmare. The special garbage collectors - here we are not allowed to burry a horse on our own property. It s against EU regulations so all dead horses are collected and disposed. For about another 300$ of my pocket. So to put horse asleep costs me 600$. 

People who have abandoned, starved horses already - will they pay 600$ for THAT? Never! So the slaughter, which pays about 300$ to ME instead of me paying out to vet and garbage company, is a godsend solution to take horse out of the misery. 

So what's better? Push your ill horse to someones else property to search for it's own luck - find a rescue or die pacefuly or struggle for months? Or call the slaughter car and end up the misery in few hours? 

You pushed slaughters out of US. Good job. But horses are still going to slaughters - to Canada,to Mexico.  For horses it means really long painfull way to slaughter. Here we ave slaughersin each part of countso max way to slaughter takes 2 hours.If slaughters will be in each state, it would reduce suffering time for horses dramatically.

Also - you pushed slaughters out of US so now you do not how control over the way HOW they are treated and how they are killed. If slaughters will be back, at least you will be able to control HOW humanely it has been done. 

See, by pushing slaughters out you just had closed ees to the problem, but the problem still exist - unwanted, abandoned horses. Therealways will be some. In my country we have strong breeding regulations and there are only about 12 thousand horses here, but still - there are ill horses, there are agressive horses, there are horses with injuries and still there are good,healthy trained WB who are going to slaughter just because. And the problem is - you just can not save them all. There are many that MUST be PTS for their own good. There are many that can be saved. BUT YOU CAN NOT SAVE THEM ALL. 

http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/

Page 9 of 10 (143 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next >
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.