Tail mud knot help

Last post 09-08-2006 3:55 AM by PsyncodeMayo. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Topic Next Topic
  • 09-08-2006 3:55 AM

Tail mud knot help

I just got home from the show grounds and they are awash. I have to ride a grey (almost white) horse hunt seat tomorrow (first show in 20 years) and want to do his tail in a mud knot. Problem is, I've forgotten how to do it. French braid the top to the bottom of the tail bone and then??????? I can't remember the rest. Is it split into two and braid 2 braids from the bottom of the tail on and then bring up and tie at the bottom of the tailbone or???? I've got a headache from thinking about it. Can someone help me out please? Thanks!!!!

Happiness is a backyard full of Arabian horses :-)
  • 09-08-2006 9:14 AM In reply to

Re: Tail mud knot help

The way I do it is braid the tail with a simple braid down the tail but leave about 4-5 inches at the bottom undone. Use the hair that is left not braided to wrap beding the tail and make a knot onto each other, then bring forward and knot again. It's easier to do it then explain it Smile

Rest In Peace my little man.
  • 09-08-2006 2:26 PM In reply to

I have an absolutly BRILLIANT way to do mud knots, but I don't think I can explain it here without pictures....
    It'll look like this -

1) Just below the tail bone divide the tail in half.
    2) Hold the left half in your left hand pick up the outside half of the remaining half and group it with the hair in your left hand, leaving a hunk from the middle of the tail hanging down.
    3) Twist the entire length of tail that is in your left hand until it's so tight it starts to flip up.
    4) Hold the end of the twisted section with your right hand.
    5) Take your left hand palm down at the base of the tail bone. Grab the tail and guide it into a turn by flipping your hand over.
    6) Keeping everything tight continue wrapping the tail up around the tail bone, when you get to the last bit of tail leave approx. 3inchs and fold it back to make a little loop (or button) hold it against the tail with your left hand.
    7) With your right hand taking the remaining hair and twist it was best you can, by rotating your hand.
    8) Starting with the intial twist of the mane tail wrap this section up and around the tail. You should get to the point where you have the left over section of the left portion while still having approx 5 inches of this most recent section. Wrap it around and around and around the looped back portion of tail. When it's all wrapped up tuck it under one of the small "rolls" from when you were wrapping the hair around the tail.

I'll try to figure out how to take pictures of the process for you. This is much more secure than your average mud knot, but just like tail wraps it should not be left in for hours and hours on end.

laissez faire, laissez aller, laissez passer, et laissez les bon temps roulez toute la nuit!
    www.phyxiusphotos.com Christina Dale Equine Photography
  • 09-09-2006 12:36 PM In reply to

Thanks!!!! I got the dang thing done and he got it undone so many times we threatened to staple his tail....Finally got it to stay up for the entire class. That horse is a Houdini with his tail, he can get the braiding undone faster than anybody I've ever seen.

• 09-09-2006 12:40 PM In reply to

Hi there,

Thanks for the advice, I could pretty much picture it. What we ended up doing was French Braiding the Tail down the tail bone, then split the remainder into 2 sections and braided both. Then wrapped the 2 braids back around the tail bone and used yarn to "sew" it in and out of the French Braiding to finally get it secure. That silly horse has been nicknamed "Clubby" because once he got that knot in he seemed to take delight in whacking everyone who passed to close with that mud knot.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Featured Offers
  • Save 10% on the Best Selection of Books and DVDs Online at HorseBooksEtc.com.
  • Receive $5 off your next purchase of Safe-Guard Power-Dose
  • 100% All Natural Wunder Hoof is a Quick, Easy and Affordable way to a Strong Healthy Hoof; Build Thicker Walls & Improve Hoof Condition.
  • Keeping your horse's hindgut healthy can be a challenge, learn about Proviable-EQ a new product from the Makers of Cosequin.
  • Steadfast Equine - a uniquely different joint supplement. Visit www.arenus.com to see the benefits of a more complete joint health supplement plan.